This dish could have been found on the menu of London's Oriental Club in the 1850's. Easy to prepare, this spicy comfort food can be served alone or over rice as the focus of a meal.
1 1/2 lbs Meat or firm tofu, cubed
4 Tbs Oil
1 lg Onion
3 Tbs Teeny Tiny Spice Co. of Vermont® British Curry
1 Tbs Cider vinegar
2 1/2 c Water
1/2 tsp Salt
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the chopped onions in oil.
- Stir in the British Curry and vinegar, and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the meat or tofu, stirring to coat it with the onion and spice mixture.
- Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add the water and the salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and gently simmer until tender.
- Before serving, reduce the sauce to your desired thickness and season with additional salt if needed.