This recipe comes from our friend Erika and here she offers yet another simple, delicious and creative way to use savory spice blends in desserts.
2 C All-purpose flour
1 Tbs Baking powder
3 Tbs Sugar (Plus a little more for glazing)
1/2 tsp Salt
3 1/2 tsp Teeny Tiny Spice Co. of Vermont® Garam Masala
5 Tbs Cold butter
1/2 C Chopped crystallized ginger
1 C Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425º F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and Garam Masala in a large bowl and whisk together. Alternatively, place in food processor and process with six 1-sec pulses.
- Add cubed cold butter and rub in with cool fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. If using food processor, process with multiple 1-sec pulses.
- Add chopped crystallized ginger and quickly mix in or pulse.
- Stir in heavy cream until the dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a floured board and knead slightly by hand until it comes together into a rough, slightly sticky ball, about 5-10 seconds.
- Roll dough out to 3/4 inch thick and use a round cutter to cut out circles. Alternatively, free form dough into a large, round circle and cut scones into eight wedges and place on parchment paper.
- Brush tops of scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425º F for 15-17 minutes until tops are light brown.